Student News

Font size: [A] [A] [A]

Elroy Henley Jr.

Atlanta Tech student Elroy M. Henley Jr. spent two weeks in Germany from Sept. 17 to Oct. 2 as part of The Halle Foundation Fellowship Program. Based on student essays, grade point average and teacher recommendations, he was chosen from the carpentry department, along with 13 other students from various departments. He studied international business relations, networked with other scholars and prepared for new opportunities in Georgia.

Henley was born in Chattanooga, Tenn., and grew up in Atlanta, Ga., with his two sisters, Shaune Henley-Walker and Shavon Henley. His mother was the late Corrine Milliner, a graduate of Charlotte Amalie High School and V.I. Carnival Queen first runner-up in 1970, and his father, Elroy Henley Sr., is owner of Mongoose Apartments in Cane Garden Bay, Tortola.

Tragedy struck in September of 1993, when Henley’s mom, driving back to Atlanta with friends after a revival, was struck and killed by a drunk driver. She was 41. At that time, he was just 13 years old. He subsequently moved to Tortola to live with his father and attended BVI High School. In 1996, he moved to Maryland to live with his aunt, Lorraine “Lolo” Milliner and graduated from Randallstown High School.

Henley attended Frostburg State University in Maryland where he received a bachelor’s degree in physics. He then moved back to Tortola to work at Mongoose Apartments where he was taught carpentry skills by his father, and developed a love for carpentry and electrical work. He was so drawn to these two skills that he decided to apply for some formal training, and in 2008, enrolled at Atlanta Technical College to become a certified electrician. 

After completing the program, he then enrolled in the carpentry program, and will graduate in 2011. He currently attends Atlanta Technical College with studies in electrical construction and maintenance.

Henley lives in Fulton County, and after graduation, he plans to use his learned skills when he returns to Tortola.

The Halle Foundation Fellowship Program in Germany selected university students from Georgia with opportunities to gain international work experience in Germany, improve their German language skills, and experience German culture firsthand. Internship placements are available in a variety of fields, including but not limited to: business, engineering, finance, tourism, IT, media/communications, international relations, the nonprofit sector, German studies, and economics, customized to each individual’s skill sets and career goals. Fellows have the opportunity to work with companies that range from small family-owned businesses to medium-sized companies to multinational holdings. In addition to individualized internship placements, fellows also receive assistance with resume writing, pre-departure cultural and logistical issues, and in-country support. Following the program, fellows receive assistance marketing their experience to employers and will be introduced to a network of German-American companies in Georgia.

School Year 2014

Get ready for the 2014 School Year!

Election Guide 2014

All you need to know for the 2014 Election.

VI 2014 Graduates

The Virgin Islands Daily News presents the Class of 2014

Hurricane Preparedness

Get prepared with the 2014 Guide to Hurricane Preparedness.

Hurricane Map

Hurricane Tips and Tracking Guide for 2014

Best of VI St Croix 2014

A guide to the best products and services on the island

BEST OF VI ON ST JOHN 2014

See what local businesses are the Best of the Virgin Islands!

Tropical Homes 2014

Home and Business Improvement Advice and Service From Island Experts

Best of The Virgin Islands 2014

Check out who's been voted the best!

Island Weddings

Everything you need for your special island wedding!

Moms, Dads, Grads Gift Guide

Click here for great gift ideas

National Video

Mother Earth 2014

The Virgin Islands Daily News celebrates Earth Day with this special supplement

Community Spirit

Virgin Islands Volunteer & Service Guide

LegalUSVI

The Law & Justice Edition: Who's Who in the US Virgin Islands Legal Community

Island Menus

Restaurant & Menu Guide for St. Croix, St. John & St. Thomas

Women Today

Business Women of St. Croix and St. Thomas Who Contribute to the Success of The United States Virgin Islands

St. Thomas How To Guide

Your Go-To Guide On How To Complete A Multitude Of Projects on St. Thomas

St. Croix How To Guide

Your Go-To Guide On How To Complete A Multitude Of Projects on St. Croix

Daily News

Try our e-newspaper delivered to you every day

Island Trader

Good stuff, best buys, great fun

Crucian Trader

Celebrating St. Croix History, Culture and People

Island Action

Your complete guide to where to go and what to do this week in the Virgin Islands.