Font size: [A] [A] [A]
Columbus Day is a federal holiday observed each year in recognition of Christopher Columbus' arrival in the Americas on Oct. 12, 1492.
What's closed for the holiday today:
- Schools: All public and private schools are closed.
- Government: All local and federal government offices are closed.
- Banks: Banks are closed.
- Post offices: Counter service is closed, but lobbies will remain open for checking boxes.
- Utilities: The V.I. Water and Power Authority's and Innovative business offices are closed.
- University: Classes are being conducted on both campuses of the University of the Virgin Islands.
- Courts: Superior Court, Supreme Court and District Court are closed.
- Many private offices are closed, but most supermarkets are open.
- The Daily News' offices are open for regular business.