Published: January 30, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. CROIX - A man who police said was seen leaving a home in Estate St. John that had been burglarized made his initial court appearance on Tuesday.
Kejeh Andreas, of Estate St. John, was arrested at 12:21 p.m. Monday and charged with third-degree burglary and destruction of property after he was identified as the person seen leaving a home that had been broken into.
Andreas was advised of his rights before Magistrate Judge Miguel Camacho on Tuesday morning on the charges and advised that if he is tried and convicted he could face up to five years in prison on the burglary charge and up to a year on the destruction of property charge.
On Monday, a resident reported that her Estate St. John home was broken into and the suspect was in the area, according to court documents.
The woman told police that she was visiting a relative who lives near her, when she heard a house alarm go off, according to the police report. She said she walked outside to see whether she could tell where the alarm was coming from, and when she looked over at her house, she saw a man, now identified as Andreas, walking out of her front yard, police said.
The woman said she yelled at the man, and he ran to the back of her house and into a field, according to the police report.
At that point, she said she could hear someone else yelling at him to get out of their yard, according to the police report.
The woman called police, who quickly converged on the area and began canvassing nearby yards and bushes in search of the burglar.
The search continued for some time, until police located Andreas hiding in some bushes located to the east of the woman's home, according to court documents.
Other neighbors reported to police that they saw Andreas hiding in their yards and weaving through different properties trying to get away from police, according to the police report.
During the investigation, officers realized that the burglar had used a rock to break a bedroom window and gain entry to the woman's home, police said.
Assistant Public Defender Kwame Montilewa asked the court to allow Andreas to be released to the third-party custody of his father after posting 10 percent of the $25,000 bail.
Montilewa said Andreas had one prior arrest for weapon possession and was diverted to the pre-trial intervention program in that case. Andreas' father, who was not the custodian in the previous case, has been deemed suitable by the prosecution, Montilewa told the court.
Assistant Attorney General Tom Sedar said he had no objection to the motion for release, and Camacho granted the motion with the further condition that Andreas would be placed on a 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew while the case is pending.
- Contact reporter Fiona Stokes at 714-9149 or email fstokes@ dailynews.vi.