Don't forget to turn in taxes today: Tips and info for V.I. taxpayers
Published: April 15, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
Today is tax day, and taxpayers must file their annual individual income tax returns with the V.I. Bureau of Internal Revenue.
The Internal Revenue Bureau will have extended hours to help taxpayers make the deadline. Offices will be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Returns also can be mailed on St. Thomas to 6115 Estate Smith Bay, Suite 225, St. Thomas, V.I. 00802 and on St. Croix to 4008 Estate Diamond, Plot 7-B, Christiansted, V.I. 00820-4421.
Here are tips to help make the annual ritual as painless as possible.
- The V.I. Internal Revenue Bureau will accept returns at its offices in Nisky Center and Red Hook on St. Thomas and at Sunny Isle on St. Croix. All locations are open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Internal Revenue Bureau office in Cruz Bay, St. John, is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Taxpayers must pay the Internal Revenue Bureau what they owe at the time of filing, regardless of whether they file for an extension.
- Taxpayers who owe money can pay with a check or credit card.
- Filing a return by the due date will prevent penalties.
- Include current mailing address, not your physical address, on the income tax return.
- Make sure to provide Social Security numbers for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents.
- Attach Copy B of Form W-2VI to the tax return. Also attach a copy of any Form 1099 that shows tax withheld.
- Make sure all schedules and related forms are securely stapled to the return.
- Sign all tax returns. A return that is not signed is not a valid return for tax purposes.
- Make all checks in payment of income or local taxes payable to the Bureau of Internal Revenue.
- Bring a copy of your tax return to be stamped by IRB staff as proof of receipt.
- Electronic filing is not permitted in the territory.
- For more information, go to www.vibir.gov or call 715-1040.
- Tax forms also are available at www.irs.gov.