Festivities today celebrate community of Christiansted
Published: October 26, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. CROIX - A variety of diverse, family-friendly activities centered in Christiansted town is happening today.
"We just want to bring life back to town and show people it is still an incredible town," said Mary Dema, coordinator of the Christiansted Community Alliance. "We've just had a very bad year-and-a-half."
The goal of today's activities - which actually got under way Friday night with Eddie Russell and Jazz in the Park - is to re-energize the town and build a community bond, Dema said.
The Christiansted Community Alliance - a grassroots group born out of a March charrette aimed at getting input on a town plan for Christiansted - was looking for activities to attract people into town and contacted the V.I. Agriculture Department, according to Dema.
Now the Agriculture Department, with the Office of the Governor, the alliance, the Waste Management Authority and the Public Works Department, is planning the "Revitalization of the Christian 'Shan' Hendricks Market" in Christiansted, which will be celebrated with a series of market events beginning today and continuing every Saturday, according to a statement issued by the Agriculture Department.
"We thought it was a good idea to refurbish this venue for farmers to sell their produce and revive activities in the Christiansted market, which has been practically dormant for many years," Agriculture Commissioner Louis Petersen said.
The farmers market is scheduled to run from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. today at the Christian "Shan" Hendricks market.
Other activities for the Celebrate Christiansted! event today include:
- 10 a.m. - introduction to meditation at the Kalima Center on King Street. Class is free.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Limpricht Park, gates will be open and a "town bazaar" of vintage items, collectibles, crafts, local artists and a plant sale along with some local food will be featured.
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. - Story time under the canopy of trees at Limpricht Park.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Friends of the Library are hosting a book sale at the Florence Williams Public Library.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Lutheran church community is having a bake sale in front of the parish hall.
- 7 p.m. - St. Croix Movies at the Fort - which shows a free movie on the lawn of Fort Christiansvaern the last Saturday of every month - will show "Now You See Me."