Finance committee OKs appropriation transfers
Published: August 17, 2012
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - The Senate Finance Committee approved 10 appropriation transfers for various governmental agencies Thursday.
The V.I. Legislature passed a modified line-item budget for Fiscal Year 2012, which means that if a department wants to shuffle funds from one budget category to another, it must come back to the Senate for approval.
All that is required is approval by the Finance Committee, and such requests do not need to go before the full Senate.
Appropriation transfers are common at the end of the fiscal year, when agencies realize they may have savings in one category and may be short in another.
The transfers approved Thursday include:
- V.I. Education Department - $3,030,000 from savings in the personnel and other services and charges categories to pay $2.9 million to the V.I. Water and Power Authority and $80,000 to replace computer equipment that was stolen from the department's administrative offices. - Office of the Lt. Governor - $770,000 from savings in the personnel category to fund costs for rent, communications and the purchase of 13 new vehicles for the V.I. Tax Assessors Office.
- Collective Bargaining - $39,000 from personnel savings for supplies, other services and utilities.
- V.I. Board of Education - $135,000 from savings in the personnel category for maintenance and repairs, other services and utility costs.
- Personnel Division - $145,000 from savings in the personnel category for additional expenses associated with the succession management grant project, to pay the University of the Virgin Islands for developing the certified public manager's program, to cover utilities and to upgrade the division's computer servers and network.
- V.I. Human Services - $533,309 from personnel savings to allow the department to meet its local match on a number of federally funded programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, vocational rehabilitation programs and the Senior Community Services Employment Program.
- Internal Revenue Bureau - $347,643 from personnel savings for utilities, rent, travel, communications and maintenance contracts relating to new scanning software and equipment.
- Office of Management and Budget - $180,000 from the budget administration category to purchase office machines and computer equipment that requires upgrading.
- Finance - $34,500 from the capital outlay and office supplies categories to pay for security and utilities.
- V.I. Territorial Emergency Management Agency - $60,000 from the utilities category to pay for maintenance agreements for communications equipment in the 911 dispatch unit.
- Contact reporter Aldeth Lewin at 714-9111 or email email@example.com.