Fire breaks out on 113-foot megayacht
Published: December 28, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - The V.I. Fire Service responded to a fire reported on a 113-foot mega-yacht at Crown Bay Marina on Friday morning.
The $6.5 million yacht MiMu had a small fire aboard, apparently started by an electrical issue with the refrigeration system, according to Fire Service Assistant Director Daryl George.
No one was injured.
The fire was reported about 8:40 a.m., George said, though when firefighters from the service's Hotel Company responded, the fire already was extinguished.
The fire was contained to an area of about 4 feet by 4 feet, George said. Firefighters removed part of the refrigeration unit to ensure that the fire was not beyond the unit, underneath any of the paneling.
The fire is under investigation, George said, though he did not believe that it interrupted operation of the mega-yacht, which is for sale.
"It was supposed to be going out today with some guests," he said.
The yacht, according to various yachting websites, was built by Italy's Codecasa yard in 2000 and accommodates eight to 10 guests in a main deck master suite, with a VIP and two twin staterooms.
The mega-yacht, formerly known as My Max, recently underwent a major refit, which included a full repainting, the installation of all new audio-visual equipment, a reconfigured sun deck and new interior furnishings.
- Contact Jenny Kane at 714-9102 or email email@example.com.