Frederiksted Health Care celebrates with week of service and outreach
Published: August 7, 2012
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. CROIX - Frederiksted Health Care Inc. will recognize National Health Center Week with a week of health screenings and outreach activities for the public.
The theme for this year's National Health Center Week is "Celebrating America's Health Centers: Powering Healthier Communities," which underlines how community health centers provide access to affordable, high quality, cost-effective health care, according to a statement Frederiksted Health Care released.
On Monday, the Frederiksted Health Center donated food it had collected during a food drive last week to My Brother's Table.
Activities for the remainder of the week include:
- Open house and block party for Public Housing Day, 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. today at Frederiksted Health Center. The road in front of the clinic will be blocked off to traffic and free health screenings, games, face painting, a bounce castle and refreshments will be available.
Although the Health Center has conducted this activity at particular housing communities before, this is the center's first year back at its old location, and with several public housing communities in the area, officials decided to do the event this way.
- Free health screenings and breakfast served at the Frederiksted vegetable market for Homeless Day, from approximately 7:30 a.m. to approximately 9 a.m. Wednesday. Saltfish, johnny cakes, eggs and bush tea will be served. Frederiksted Health Care administrators are also scheduled to serve lunch at My Brothers Table at noon Wednesday.
- Free health screenings for farmers and the public for Farmer's Day on Thursday. Health screenings are for farmers only from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Thursday, and then are open to the public as a whole from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the farmers market at the Agriculture Grounds.
- The Frederiksted Health Center will be closed on Friday and staff will do a clean up from the Fish Market to the Frederiksted pool, starting at 8 a.m.
- Health Center staff will do blood pressure screening and a food drive for My Brother's Table from approximately 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Plaza Extra West.