Port Authority board gives shining annual review, raise to executive director
Published: January 24, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - After one year on the job, V.I. Port Authority Executive Director Carlton Dowe received a positive annual review and a 2.5 percent pay raise.
Board chairman Robert O'Connor Jr. said the provision for the performance review and raise were included in Dowe's contract.
"It came out as exceeding satisfactory," O'Connor said about Dowe's performance review.
Dowe's salary was $150,000 and with the 2.5 percent increase, he will earn $153,750 per year.
"His salary is still below comparable positions," O'Connor said.
He said the board would have liked to have given Dowe a larger raise, but the Port Authority's budget could not sustain it.
"Everybody is satisfied with the work that he is doing," O'Connor said.
The decision was made during a board meeting Tuesday.
In other action, the board:
- Ratified a poll vote approving a payment plan for Seaborne Airlines. The airline owes the Port Authority $508,559.52 in rent, landing fees and passenger facilities charges. Under the agreement, the airline will pay all outstanding balances by July.
- Approved a request from tenant Rush It, Inc., doing business as Padgett Transport, to waive half of the total accrued finance charges. A total of $3,661.99 will be waived.
- Approved the relocation of Sandals for Your Neck from one kiosk to another in the Crown Bay Center Mall.
- Approved revisions to the Port Authority's Property Management Manual.
- Approved a task order in the Maguire Group contract for the dredging of Crown Bay. The Port Authority added $19,795 for modifications made to the Coastal Zone and Army Corps of Engineers permit applications, bringing the total contract to $69,795.
- Conducted elections for board positions. O'Connor will remain chairman, Public Works Commissioner Darryl Smalls will be vice chairman and Labor Commissioner Albert Bryan Jr. will be secretary.
- Contact Aldeth Lewin at 714-9111 or email email@example.com.