Senate Rules Committee approves Emile Griffith statue for ballpark
Published: June 6, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - The Senate Rules and Judiciary Committee met Wednesday and Thursday passing nominations and bills, including a measure to build a statue of boxing champion Emile Griffith at the St. Thomas ballpark named after him.
While senators supported the bill, some asked that a different funding source be found. The sponsors of the bill, Sen. Myron Jackson and Sen. Tregenza Roach, included a $30,000 appropriation from the Tourism Advertising Revolving Fund.
Jackson said he has contacted the V.I. Public Finance Authority about including the project in the department's Waterfront Improvement Project.
"This is beneficial to us, not only in terms of pride but economically beneficial in terms of tourism," Sen. Sammuel Sanes said.
Another bill approved by the committee, also sponsored by Jackson, will transfer the Massac Nursing Home from the V.I. Human Services Department to the V.I. Sports, Parks and Recreation for a sports facility and boxing gymnasium.
A bill to increase the fees regulating billboards was held in committee for further consideration.
Other legislation passed by the committee include:
- A bill to reprogram money to repair the Estate Profit Concession Center and the La Reine Fish Market.
- A bill creating an annual scholarship for Virgin Islands students studying emergency management.
- A bill adding a provision to include chemical changes to controlled substances in the list of controlled substances. The provision is designed to criminalize changing the chemical composition of a controlled substance with the intent to emulate or simulate the effects of synthetic cannabinoids or other controlled substances.
The Rules and Judiciary Committee also considered eight of the governor's nominees to various boards and commissions, and approved them all unanimously. The nominations will go to the full Senate for final confirmation.
- Angie Smith to the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission.
- Vernon Araujo to the Virgin Islands Council of the Arts.
- Leigh Goldman to the Real Estate Appraisers board.
- Colette Jones to the Virgin Islands Housing Authority board.
- Frank Odlum to the Board of Medical Examiners.
Susan Anderson to the Board of Dental Examiners.
- Elizabeth Masiello to the Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
- Lawrence Ramdhansingh to the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission.
- Contact reporter Aldeth Lewin at 714-9111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.