Senior living facility and grocery store receive zoning approval
Published: April 28, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - Senators unanimously approved a slew of zoning changes and two government leases, including a measure to allow for a senior living facility in Estate Thomas.
The V.I. Housing Authority purchased the land on the hillside above the Island Periodicals building and east of the Foothills Medical Building in 2012 from Lockhart Realty for about $1.3 million.
The land, about 8 acres total, consists of two parcels. One is zoned R-5, residential high density, and the other is zoned R-1, residential low density.
To consolidate the property and build senior housing, both parcels must have the same zoning.
The proposal passed Thursday by the Senate would change the R-1 zoned parcel, comprising 5.4 acres, to an R-5 designation.
The Housing Authority plans to construct 80 units for seniors who can live independently. It will be affordable rental housing, built with low-income housing tax credits.
The facility will include a parking garage under the building, a community center and outdoor gardens.
A single entrance and exit point will share the entrance to the Foothills Medical Building.
The facility will have two buildings, with three floors of living space plus a lower level parking garage.
Construction is expected to start within a year and may take up to two years to complete.
Other zoning changes approved during Thursday's legislative session include:
- A zoning change request by VI Finest Foods, LLC, seeking an amendment on Parcel No. 68 D Estate Lindberg Bay, St. Thomas to change it from P (Public) to B-2 (Business-Secondary/Neighborhood) for the construction of a supermarket on the western end of St. Thomas.
- A change requested by Shihadeh Qattum, who asked for a rezoning of plots 148 and 149-C in Estate Carlton, St. Croix from R-3 (Residential-medium density) to B-3 (Business scattered.) Qattum's application said he intends to move a food van with a seating area to the rezoned plots.
- An application by Barren Spot Developers LLC that Plots 293-1, 293-2 and 293-3 Estate Barren Spot be rezoned to B-2 (Business-secondary neighborhood) to develop a 150,000-square-foot single-story department store and an office complex comprising two two-story buildings. The property is situated along a major arterial road about 1.5 miles from Sunny Isle Shopping Center. The proposed site plan includes 498 parking spaces and landscaped medians.
- An application from Karl Percell and Carolyn Hermon-Percell for their 0.78 acre parcel in Estate Thomas. The building formerly housed the dentist office The Smile Center, and the zoning change from R-2, residential low density one- and two-family, to B-2, business secondary/neighborhood, will allow the couple to move their law practice to the building.
- An application from Roy Harrigan Jr. for a use-variance to allow his Frydenhoj property to be used as a guest house. The 0.43 acre property already has a three unit, two-story residential building on the site. It is zoned R-2, residential low density one and two family.
- An application for Ernanko Ashoka Thomas who is seeking a use variance for a parcel in Estate Mafolie to allow for professional offices. The 3,397 square foot property zoned R-2, residential low density one- and two-family and already has a three-story residential building and the variance would allow for one of the stories to be rented out as office space.
- A use variance for Springline Architects for the 4.6 acre property currently zoned R-3, residential medium density, in Estate Smith Bay to allow for professional offices. The firm would like to construct a second two-story office building to rent out next to its existing office building.
- A change for a parcel owned by Property and Procurement, which intends to lease it to Petrus Gas for a gasoline storage tank. The 4,580 square foot parcel in Sub Base is currently zoned P, public, and the request is to change it to I-1, industrial heavy.
- A lease agreement between the Department of Property and Procurement and ABC Sales and Services, Inc.
- A lease agreement between the Department of Property and Procurement and Commercial Security Services, Ltd.
- Contact reporter Aldeth Lewin at 714-9111 or email email@example.com.