St. Croix, 19, man arrested four times in less than a year released after accepting plea deal in all cases against him
Published: September 13, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. CROIX - After being arrested four times in less than a year, Trevor Mars was released from jail Thursday after accepting a global plea in the four cases against him in V.I. Superior Court.
Mars, 19, was arrested May 9 for the fourth time after police executed a search warrant and found a black and chrome .380-caliber handgun in the home where Mars was on house arrest after being arrested April 17 on assault, rape, burglary and weapons charges. In that case, a woman went to police reporting that Mars sexually and physically assaulted during a grueling nine-hour attack in her home.
Mars previously was arrested in November after the same woman who said he attacked her in April reported that he assaulted her and threatened to kill her as he placed a knife against her face. In that case, he was charged with second-degree assault; possession of a dangerous weapon during the commission of a violent crime; and brandishing or exhibiting a deadly weapon.
At the time of the November arrest, Mars was on release after being arrested in June 2012 with another man when police stopped a car in which Mars was a passenger and found a firearm inside.
On Thursday, Mars pleaded guilty in a global plea offer that encompassed the four cases against him.
As outlined in the plea offer given by Assistant Attorney General Charlotte Poole Davis, Mars was allowed to plead guilty to disturbance of the peace in the case that included the initial assault on the woman and he also pleaded guilty to unauthorized possession of a firearm in the second gun case stemming from the execution of the warrant on his grandfather's home in May.
In exchange for the guilty pleas to those two charges in those cases, prosecutors agreed to dismiss the remaining charges in both of those cases and dismiss in their entirety, the subsequent assault charge and the initial gun charge against Mars.
Davis said prosecutors would recommend that Mars be placed on two years incarceration with all time suspended and that he would be placed on one year and six months of supervised probation. He will be ordered to complete anger management classes and pay all of the fees associated with the cases.
Both sides reserved the right to allocute at the time of the sentencing hearing, which will be scheduled for some time in November before V.I. Superior Court Judge Harold Willocks.
Davis said prosecutors had been prepared to go forward with the four cases until Aug. 7, when the complaining witness in the case filed a letter with the court recanting her statements to police and denying that any of the allegations involving the sexual and physical assaults took place.
She said in the letter that she had been forced to make the statement and that she wanted all of the charges against Mars dismissed.
"We still tried to go forward with the case even with that filing, but it would have been difficult getting her to testify and convince a jury," Davis said. "We opted to secure at least a charge to be able to monitor him by extending that plea offer which includes probation."
Following the acceptance of Mars' guilty plea Thursday, he was released from prison, where he had been held since May.
However, he still was ordered to observe a 24-hour curfew without the use of an electronic monitoring device pending sentencing.
- Contact reporter Fiona Stokes at 714-9149 or email email@example.com.