St. Croix man who fatally shot another not yet arrested or charged
Published: September 28, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. CROIX - Criminal Investigation Bureau detectives are investigating a late-night shooting Thursday in Christiansted that left one man dead.
V.I. Police spokeswoman Melody Rames said Friday afternoon that the fatal shooting occurred on Queen Cross Street in Christiansted just before 10:15 p.m.
The preliminary police report indicated that one man was holding another man at gunpoint and asked persons in the area to call 911 emergency dispatchers, Rames said. Before units could arrive at the location, 911 was notified that at least one shot was fired, she said. When officers arrived on the scene, they found the injured man, fatally wounded, lying on the ground, according to Rames.
Emergency medical technicians on the scene said the victim was unresponsive, and he was taken to Luis Hospital, where medical staff officially pronounced him dead.
Rames said police have not released the victim's name pending confirmation of next of kin, and they are cross-referencing information they have been given to determine the victim's age and address.
Rames said the shooter voluntarily surrendered his licensed firearm to police on the scene, and no arrest had been made as of press time Friday.
She would not confirm whether the shooter involved in the incident is a retired police officer, nor would she say whether he is currently working for the department in any capacity.
"We had a discussion and decided that based on the Police Department's protocol, unless the individual is arrested or dead, we do not release any information," she said. "The rules do not change for anyone."
Rames did not give any motive for the shooting and said no other information would be made public at this time.
While Rames said the final classification of the case is a homicide, the V.I. Territorial Emergency Management Agency web blotter, an official electronic document that shows the listing of calls made to emergency dispatchers, shows the incident type for Thursday night's incident listed initially as a "weapons firearm" call. The disposition of the call is listed as "police assistance."
The web blotter is used by members of the media and other individuals to have an up-to-date listing of incidents that occur in the territory that are reported to dispatchers.
Rames said Friday that the Police Department has nothing to do with the case classification and that it is handled by VITEMA.
"The classification on the website and the classification we have are two different things," she said. "A lot of times, the classifications may be the same, but the police do not tell them what to put on there."
VITEMA officials said that after reviewing the case and the recording associated with the call, they realized that the dispatcher made an error in logging the disposition type for the incident.
Ninafe Awong, Emergency Communications Center manager, said after the inquiry and the review, the incident has been reclassified as a murder.
She said all of the information logged on the web blotter is done by dispatchers based on the call from the residents or officer who makes the initial call for assistance, and the disposition is based on information that comes in from the reporting officer.
All of the listings correspond with various titles in the V.I. Code, but the misclassification was a mistake, Awong said.
- Contact reporter Fiona Stokes at 714-9149 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.