St. Thomas Hebrew Congregation honors 7 students as part of Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration
Published: January 18, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - The St. Thomas Hebrew Congregation honored seven high school seniors Friday evening as part of its annual commemoration of the work of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and recognition of accomplished youth in the territory.
The students, all of whom were selected by their respective high schools as embodying the values of the civil rights leader, each received a $500 award and were honored at the synagogue on St. Thomas.
The students come from various backgrounds, and all were required to write an essay as if they were addressing King, who would have celebrated his 85th birthday this year.
The students are:
- Mikaela Carty, V.I. Montessori School and Peter Gruber International Academy.
- Marquisse Brown, All Saints Cathedral School.
- Kheana Fahie, Ivanna Eudora Kean High School.
- Rodney Querrard Jr., Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic School.
- Keryl Liburd, Seventh-day Adventist School.
- Brianna Hairston, Charlotte Amalie High School.
- Julianna de Haas, Antilles School.