St. Thomas man pleads guilty to stabbing another prisoner
Published: March 14, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - A man who was jailed in July on assault charges pleaded guilty Thursday to stabbing another inmate in December.
Kemoy Thompson, 22, changed his plea to guilty to a third-degree assault charge after law enforcement officials said he stabbed a fellow inmate at the Farrelly Complex on St. Thomas on Dec. 4, 2013.
V.I. Superior Court Judge Kathleen Mackay sentenced Thompson to four years in prison during the same court appearance Thursday, following a request made by attorneys, according to court documents.
V.I. Assistant Attorney General Sigrid Tejo-Sprotte prosecuted the case, and attorney Russell Pate represented Thompson.
According to the account of a V.I. Bureau of Corrections officer in an affidavit, Thompson stabbed the inmate in the shoulder, requiring the inmate to receive 26 sutures.
Thompson, of the Hospital Ground area, has been in and out of the court system for several years.
In July, he was arrested and charged with assault and battery, according to the V.I. Police Department's arrest records. It is unclear whether those charges were the reason for his detainment at the time of the December incident or whether there were separate charges for which he was being held.
In April, Thompson was detained after being arrested and charged most recently with assault and battery in July last year.
He also was arrested in April on charges of third-degree assault; reckless endangerment; possession of an unlicensed firearm during the commission of a crime of violence; and illegal discharge of a firearm.
According to court documents, those charges were knocked down to reckless endangerment, interfering with an officer and operating a motor vehicle without a license because the prosecution lacked evidence connecting Thompson to the claims of V.I. Police.
Police said that Thompson had fired shots outside of a Head Start center on St. Thomas after they had pursued Thompson and his brother in April. Thompson posted a $1,000 bond and was released from custody.
In October 2012, former Superior Court Judge Brenda Hollar, at the end of a two-day trial, dismissed charges against Thompson that included first-degree murder, first-degree assault and unauthorized use of a firearm in connection with the Sept. 20, 2009, shooting of Curtiss Thomas.
In that case, Hollar ruled the government failed to connect witnesses' description of a young, thin male to the nickname "Snake," and failed to connect the nickname "Snake" to Thompson.
- Contact Jenny Kane at 714-9102 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.