WAPA nominees overcome opposition to get OK
Published: July 29, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - Eight of the governor's nominees to various boards and commissions were confirmed by the Senate on Monday, although three sitting members of the V.I. Water and Power Authority board seeking renomination to the board faced some opposition.
Gerald Groner and Juanita Young, both of whom have served as chairpersons of the WAPA board during their terms, received the most opposition, with five senators voting against Groner and four senators voting against Young.
Board member Noel Loftus had two votes against his renomination.
Senators who voted against the nominees were critical of their performance on the board during their terms and expressed concern that the board members are not doing all they can to bring relief to the ratepayers.
Despite the opposition, senators supporting the nominees won the majority and confirmed Groner, Young and Loftus to serve another term on the board.
Other nominees confirmed by the Senate on Monday were:
- Robert John DeBonis to the Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
- Kenneth Fox to the Board of Podiatry Examiners.
- Ian Michael Douglas to the Pharmacy Board.
- Colette Woodson Burgess to the Historic Preservation Commission.
- Andrew Rutnik to the V.I. Public Services Commission.
- Contact reporter Aldeth Lewin at 714-9111 or email email@example.com.