What's closed for Carnival this week
Published: April 29, 2014
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
ST. THOMAS - In observance of V.I. Carnival activities this week, Gov. John deJongh Jr. has issued administrative leave for non-essential government employees.
On St. Thomas, government offices and agencies will close at noon Wednesday and re-open Monday. St. Croix workers have been granted administrative leave from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday only.
Other closings for Carnival:
- All public schools in the St. Thomas-St. John District will be closed for the week. Classes resume Monday.
- All public schools in the St. Croix District are closed for the week, with the exception of Central High School.
- The University of the Virgin Islands will be closed Friday.
- The V.I. Superior Court and the V.I. Supreme Court will operate on abbreviated schedules through Friday. On St. Thomas, the courts will be closed from noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday and all day Thursday and Friday. On St. Croix, the court will hold normal hours with the exception of Friday, when it will be closed. All court filings can be submitted electronically or via a secure lockbox.
- The U.S. District Court on St. Thomas will be closed Friday. The District Court in both island districts will operate on normal hours all other times.
- The V.I. Water and Power Authority on St. John will close at noon Wednesday, while the St. Croix offices will be open until 4 p.m. and St. Thomas offices will stay open until 5 p.m. The St. Thomas and St. John offices will be closed Thursday, and offices on all three islands will be closed Friday.
All WAPA offices will resume normal hours of operation on Monday. Payments can be made online at www.viwapa.vi, by placing a check or money order into the drop boxes at WAPA business offices, at most local banks and via the U.S. Postal Service.
- V.I. Waste Management Authority's administrative offices will be closed in the St. Thomas-St. John District from noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- The U.S. Postal Service announced that all locations will hold regular lobby hours this week.
- Merchants Bank on St. Thomas will close Friday. Banco Popular and FirstBank branches in the St. Thomas-St. John District will close at noon Wednesday and open at noon Thursday. Scotiabank will have extended hours on Wednesday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and will be closed Thursday. All banks in the district will be closed Friday and Saturday.
- The Daily News offices will be open Wednesday through Friday, and the paper will be distributed on its normal schedule.